From: Colin Charles [mailto:byte@aeon.com.my]
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 5:10 PM
To: ossig@mncc.com.my; MYOSS Mailing List
Subject: [myoss] OpenOffice.org in Schools

To celebrate its 3rd anniversary, on the 13th of September 2003, the
OpenOffice.org project is spinning off something new – the
OpenOffice.org in Schools project.

One of the goals that needs  to be achieved first, for this project is
to get as many activists as possible. This is to fuel the fact that we
want as many schools as possible knowing about OpenOffice.org.

Building a list of possible schools comes next.

Part of the awareness campaign involves telling schools and their
administrators about OpenOffice.org. Inform them that out there exists
an alternative Office client, that deals with Microsoft file formats
with ease. Inform them that there exists the ability to save documents
as PDF's, and there's a good drawing program included.

And all this for the main goal of getting OpenOffice.org to as many
students as possible. Feeling like donating to the open source cause?
Burn 50 copies of the OpenOffice.org ISO's (available from the official
site) and start distributing them. Students love free gifts, and this
would enable them to take it home and give OpenOffice.org a try – right
alongside whichever office package is currently installed.

So, as a marketer, this is the call for activists. Next comes the
arduous task of building a list of schools, and deciding as to how to go
about giving CD's to students.

If anyone wants to participate in this, or knows others that want to,
please don't hesitate to drop me a line. This is an international
project, and will run together with the rest of the world. Remember that
OOo runs on Windows too, so people don't need to make the jump so
quickly. Let's make it a success!
--
Colin Charles, byte@aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/