Re: [myoss] Re: [ossig] Technical workshops in MIMOS?

That fits in very well with Mad Dog's central 'principles not products'
theory.

Having said that, I see no problem in having a whole day on BSD if
someone's got the expertise and the slides.
Rather than we spend too long trying to fine-tuning categorizations of
software / OSS, maybe we can continue by volunteering as speakers on
topics and see what content/experts we already have and then fit it
together afterwards? No point categorizing fields if we have no
willing speakers...

Imran

Ken Wong wrote:

Second the security track suggestion. However, suggest we make the topic areas more general, instead of focusing on particular technologies. So if we were using Dinesh's 6 topics as a base, I'd suggest:

1. Kernels (Linux, BSD, QNX, etc)
2. Distributions (BSD, RH, Debian, etc)
3. Databases (MySQL, Postgres, ZODB)
4. Web development (PHP, Perl, Python, DHTML, Flash (Evil!))
5. Languages (Java, Python, C++, Ruby)
6. Desktop Apps (KDE, Gnome, OO.o macros, conversions)
7. Server side Apps (Samba, Spamassassin, LTSP)
8. Security (Snort, firewall rules, Nessus, etc)

By making each group more general, we cover far more area and may learn about apps and techniques we never knew about. It also allows us to adapt to changing technologies.

Btw, not to compete with opensource.mimos.org or www.asiaosc.org or anything, but www.iosn.net would be glad to host any of these materials. It's part of our charter. :)

Ken