Re: [ossig] FOSSCON: to who may concern, defrag tool

Found this on the net in case anyone is interested....

SUMMARY: De-fragmentation UFS File systems

    * To: "'sun-managers@ra.mcs.anl.gov'" <sun-managers@ra.mcs.anl.gov>
    * Subject: SUMMARY: De-fragmentation UFS File systems
    * From: "Foix, Michel" <Michel.Foix@microcell.ca>
    * Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:30:44 -0500
    * Sender: sun-managers-relay@ra.mcs.anl.gov

Hello Sun-Manager,

I agree with Brett, I never seen a fragmentation on disks get above 5%
on
the machines running Solaris 1.x or 2.x.

Thanks to Brett Lymn

The berkeley FFS, which is what UFS really is, is designed to
automatically defragment itself with use.  You should not see any
significant fragmentation with normal usage patterns.  You can check
the fragmentation by doing a "fsck -n" on the partitions.  I have
rarely seen fragmentation on disks get above 5% on the machines I run.

Thanks to mshon@East.Sun.Com

THe fragmentation reported by fsck is probably not what you think,
and will probably never get gigh enough to consider defragging.

However, UFS filesystems DO get fragmented, and there's no tool
supplied with Solaris to defrag except to ufsdump/ufsrestore.

Fortunately, there IS a commercial tool to do it.
See
	http://www.eaglesoft.com
for info and analysis part of DiskPak

Thanks also to Kevin.Sheehan@Uniq.com.au