Re: [ossig] Great Ball interview ... should be in our OSS 'war chest'

On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 09:32 AM, Dinesh Nair wrote:

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Seah Hong Yee wrote:

application on postgresql/php/python/java etc, wouldn't he be able to
charge more? since he would be the one who help rolling out not only the
application he wrote but also intergrating a suite of backend and
absolutely. i believe maddog gave a good example. you can sell more
services if the underlying software cost is minimal. customers have fixed
budgets, and the more you have to pay out to a third party means less for
you to keep.
Exactly to the point, which is why I have no idea why govt do not mandate using OSS technology and application vendor don't use open source. I tend to believe, for one thing, the mentality of having someone to call and yell at when something break is still prevalent. This would be important for govt, especially for small scale system and affect the balance of payment issue Maddog has put forward.

Regards, /\_/\ "All dogs go to heaven."
dinesh@alphaque.com (0 0) http://www.alphaque.com/
| for a in past present future; do |
| for b in clients employers associates relatives neighbours pets; do |
| echo "The opinions here in no way reflect the opinions of my $a $b." |
| done; done |