Re: [ossig] IP Network Subnetting ...

Hi Sabri

On Saturday, August 23, 2003, at 07:40 PM, S.M.Sabri S.M.Ismail wrote:

My broadband router wireless access point D-Link DI-714P+ allows me to set
* LAN IP Address: 200.200.0.116/16
* Subnet Mask: 255.255.0.0
... the "/16" automatically appears even if I don't enter it. So it does
understand CIDR.

looks like it uses CIDR notation but does not implement it

However after rebooting, the D-Link status still gives ...
* IP Address 200.200.0.116/16
* Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
... yeah, the subnet stubbornly resets itself as the default classfull
netmask. And 200.200.17.200 can't ping that 200.200.0.116. Perhaps a
DI-714P+ bug.

Anyway, I finally choose to just use 200.200.0.200 that is in the same class
C network as 200.200.0.116. Ah well, I learned something new while at it.
;-)

Is there a reason to use the 200.200/16 address space ? This is a valid IP address range is or maybe used on the Internet. Looks like yours is a private network. The implications of this is that you will never be able to reach IPs in this address range on the net from your network which includes web sites, email servers etc. You might be better off changing to 192.168/16 address space, which your DLINK should recognise as a class B and choose a subnet mask properly.....unless

1. this network will never connect to the internet
2. you have thousands of nodes using this address and its to dang difficult to renumber :)
3. you don't give a damn about anyone on the net using 200.200/16 :)