Re: [ossig] IP Network Subnetting ...

If my calculations are correct (can somebody second me...?)

255.255.31.0

That would be even more restrictive, and would only cover
200.200.[0-31].x

(the 2 31's are a coincidence...)

I am ignoring the concept where the leading bits of the
IP address tells you the class.  I don't think that's relevant
any more.

If you have a Palm, check out some software that helps you
with the calculations to convert netmask to CIDR.
http://www.wildpackets.com/products/ipcalcpalm/features

or for some GPL C software:
http://www.laffeycomputer.com/whatmask.html

Imran

S.M.Sabri S.M.Ismail wrote:
Hi all,

I'm sure this question would confirm the I'm just a networking poseur, but
here goes ... ;-)

If I would like to have IP address 200.200.0.116 and 200.200.17.200 to be in
the same network, can I use subnet mask of 255.255.0.0?

The site http://www.ralphb.net/IPSubnet/ipaddr.html and
http://www.ralphb.net/IPSubnet/class_c.html seems to imply Class C address
200.x.x.x cannot have subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Did I understand things
wrong?

regards, sabre23t =^.^=

Imran William Smith
Project Manager, Open Source Development,
MIMOS Berhad, Malaysia

Asian Open Source Centre : http://www.asiaosc.org
MIMOS Open Source        : http://opensource.mimos.my