[ossig] Gentoo Linux

Hi,
I just like to know more about Gentoo Linux.  >From an article I read in Linux Today, I get that once Gentoo is install upgrading can be gradual and systems can be fully upgraded without a hitch.  For instance, when I am using Mdk 9.0 and want to upgrade to Mdk 9.1, I can be assured that something will break (especially if I have installed an application from source which is not Mdk).  But this does not happen with Gentoo.  That means with Gentoo 1.3, I can actually keep upgrading until Gentoo 1.4 and beyond!

Is this true?  I would like to have actual live usage feedback about this.

Thanks.

regards,
Venantius.