Re: [ossig] Localised Distribution.

Depends on the distribution, really. Debian allows you to sell it for
profit, since everything is Free/Open Source software. However, you
can't restrict their licensing, so anyone you sell it to can likewise
sell it for a profit as well. You might be able to make money if you
have a monopoly on CD-burners, but otherwise, unlikely.

Red Hat doesn't care if you repackage their work but asks that you
respect their trademarks. In other words, if you want to repackage their
distribution, make sure to remove all their logos and other trademarked
materials. Their consumer distribution is all Free/Open Source stuff
too, so it is well within your rights.

SuSE can be a problem because of their installer tool, YaST (Yet another
Setup Tool). YaST is not free or even open source software so you cannot
redistribute it. Unless you strip out the installer, you cannot base
your distribution on SuSEs.

Not sure about other distributions.

Moral of story - make sure you know the licenses of every single package
in your new distribution.

You may want to read up on software licenses at
http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html to start.

Ken