Re: [ossig] DNS problems

The companies involved (other telcos) already have the required licenses. It's their butts that need a swift kick to get moving.

On Monday, May 5, 2003, at 09:02 Asia/Kuala_Lumpur, Imran William Smith wrote:

I'm not entirely sure, but wouldn't you need a broadcasting
license to do 802.11 on a wide scale?  So another area where
regulation, or politics,
rather than straight technology, might be a limitation.

Imran

TM Tan wrote:
Interesting topic this is developing into :)
What I have to say is that, yes, TMnet and Telekom services leave much room for improvement but the lack of competition is entirely the fault of the competition, ie. they are not willing to invest the money to do it because quote "it is not their core business"
One of the other large telcos is only interested is "other services" to reduce churn of their mobile customers
802.11 means you don't need copper wires to deliver broadband to everyone, so the "Telekom controls the copper" argument no longer holds
Also another thing, many telcos have fibre to almost all large buildings in major towns...what do they sell to the customers...DSL - DSLAMs with ATM backends cost a bomb !!! Why, can't they sell an IP ethernet connection which costs so much less to deliver and no PPP overheads ? Why, because they are a telco, they think like a telco